Sunday, August 24, 2008

1st Day Without Baby

Yesterday was the first day I've spent without my Ayden since he's been born. Grandma came down here to see her boyfriend who lives near us and offered to take Ayden along with them on a hike. I agreed, thinking it's time i let him go for a whole day. I woke up to Eric shampooing the carpet throughout the house, it needed it bad. I started packing Ayden's things and made sure he had plenty of food and diapers for the day. I fed him breakfast at 10 so that he wouldn't be hungry till after they got to their hiking destination. I said my goodbyes and he was gone for the day.
We decided since the baby was gone that we should go on a date. Something we really haven't done in 10 months. Eric took me to see The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. I loved it!! I could really use some girlfriends. Eric was the only guy in the theater. Haha. Afterwards, we went home and finished shampooing the carpet and moving the furniture and things back. Around 4, we went to Chili's for dinner. I was really craving one of their buttery steaks. Mmmmm.....It was so good. We then went to walmart and picked up a cheesecake for dessert.(much cheaper then the tiny piece we'd get from chili's)
I was worried about my baby. She said she'd try to be back by 5 and it was already 6. We couldn't get ahold of her....but i knew that he'd be ok. I didn't get to see my son till 9pm. At that time he was just too tired and had to go to bed. While putting away the things from his hike, i noticed that only one diaper out of the seven i had packed was gone. I had a feeling this had happened because when i changed him to put him to bed he was really wet and red. I never let my son go long with a wet diaper...he has really sensitive skin and gets rashes easily. I was a little upset. While continuing to clean out his bag, i noticed that only one bottle had been used. I told Eric to ask his mom how much he ate and she said 2 bottles, which i believed after seeing his formula container missing 2 servings. But, being gone for over 11 hours, i expected him to have at LEAST 3 bottles and a cup of juice. This kid doesn't let you know when he's hungry. He could go 6 hours without food and you'd never know. I told her that he needed to eat every 3 hours, but apparently that didn't happen.
Needless to say, i'm not to sure about leaving him for a day again. I know he got home safe and sound, but it just bothers me that he wasn't changed or fed properly. I'm having our second baby in just over a month and need someone to stay at our house with Ayden. I wanted it to be Eric's mom because i just don't want her in the delivery room again. With Ayden's delivery, she just stood at the end of the table like it was a free peak show, not helping at all. But after this experience with her watching Ayden for a day, I am having second thoughts. It's so hard to talk to her about things like this. She raised 6 boys and therefore she's "perfect" at taking care of baby boys. This is something that's going to offend her. I hope that she'll be able to get over this but knowing her that won't happen for a while. She threw a toddler like tantrum when my grandma bought Ayden's blessing outfit. She complains about never being able to buy him anything because my family has already bought it, but when it comes time that he needs something and we ask her about it, she can't help. I have gotten over that now. She's not the type to just go out and get something for anyone. Anyways, my time with Eric was really great yesterday. He constantly had to get me for thinking about Ayden. Haha. What can i say, I love my little man.

1 comment:

Anji said...

I am glad you enjoyed your day. One way I handled my mom and other older people that raised kids old school is I would play it off like I was the weird one. So I would say I know you did it differently but I am new at this mom stuff so I like to stick to the feeding schedule so just do it my way for my sake or I know you had me eating steak and potatoes (minor exaggeration) eat a month and I survived but I am holding off with him.